Tuesday 6 May 2014

Happy 75th Birthday Card!

   I hope everyone was able to craft on Saturday for National Scrapbooking Day . I was lucky enough to be at a 2 day event as a CTMH vendor and a crafter. I had such a wonderful time meeting  with new and old friends. I was able to finish my cards for my exchange group and my Mother-In-Law's birthday card.
   So I thought I would  share the card I made for  my MIL's birthday card and it's a napkin fold card. I love how this card turned out, but it I must say that the folding part is a little confusing. At least for me. LOL. I got the idea for this card from a Split Coast Stampers tutorials. If you click on the link on the right you can go and find lots and lots of different tutorials.

   For this card you will need:   1- 12"x12" piece of cardstock
                                               1- 2 1/4" x 12" piece of cardstock
                                               2- 12" x 12" pieces of patterned paper
                                               scol-pal, bone folder, paper cutter, ribbon                                                                                                     (optional)
                                               border punch (optional)
                                               Dies, inks and embellishments (optional)

 
                                           

    To start of you will need to score the 12" x 12" cardstock base at 3" and 9". Than turn the paper 90 degrees and score again at 3" and 9".  Fold on the score lines. You than have to mark the center of the paper with a small dot. Than you fold each corner to the center of the card and crease each fold.  I than inked the edges of each fold on both sides. You can also use a border punch around the outside edge of the paper for a different look. Now comes the more interesting part, well at least for me. LOL.
 



     Next you take each outside corner and push it toward the center. I have posted the video on how to make this card, as I find it easier to to watch how the folds go than trying to explain it myself. 


                                 

   After you have all the folds done you can start to cut the squares from the pattern paper. Since I didn't punch the edge of mine I didn't need  all the sizes of squares the video calls for. I cut 1- 5 1/2 "  square to put in the middle of the card. I used Lagoon  cardstock for this. I than cut 2 - 5 1/2" squares from the rose patterned paper, 4- 3 3/4" squares of the rose paper and 4- 3 3/4" squares of Lagoon dotted paper. I than cut each square into 2 triangles. I did this by putting the square on my cutter with the points as my cutting start and finish. This is also in the video. As you can tell from the picture below the larger triangles go closest to the middle (front and back) and the smaller ones are placed on the outer edge of the card (front and back). 
  



   Once I glued all the triangles in place it was time to decorate the inside of the card. I used a retired Stamp of the month from CTMH for the roses. I water coloured the roses  and added a little glitter glue to the center of some of the roses. I than stamped the sediment and added a small rhinestone for the dot of the i.  When I glued the roses to the center of the card, I didn't glue right to the edge on the roses as I plan on adding a picture of my MIL from her party and either putting this into a shadow box or scrapbook. 
   

   
   I took the 2 1/4" x 12" piece of cardstock and punched the edges with a punch  and added a smaller piece of printed paper to make the band that keeps the card closes. As I made my card differently than the video, my band was to short. So to make it a little bigger,  I cut a Dollie style circle with the cricut using the Art  Philosophy cartridge from CTMH and added a circle to the middle. I also used the same cricut cart to cut the butterfly and the roses. I also cut the 75 with my cricut, but I can't seem to remember which one I used. Sorry about that. Next time I better write in down. This card is a little fussy with the folding and so on but it is worth it in the end and makes for a special card for that special someone.  
    Well thanks for stopping by and checking out what I've been up to. I hope to get better with my recipes as I go on as doing this is all new to me!! Thanks again!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment